Historic Pittsburg
Back
|
Guides / Historic Cemeteries Tour
Historic Cemeteries Tour
If you are a Cemetery Enthusiast, you'll love this tour. Some of our Cemeteries and Tombstones date back to the early 1800's.
If you are a Cemetery Enthusiast

When a migrant worker died in 1879, there was no cemetery in this community. Counce Reeves, a Civil War veteran who had come from Hamilton County, Georgia and his wife Selina gave two acres at this site for a church and burial ground. The Rev. D. Dane of Jefferson led in organizing the Reeves Chapel Methodist Church. The congregation erected a brush arbor and in the fall of 1879 constructed a frame meetinghouse. Later Reeves deeded an additional two acres. After the fellowship grew, members initiated efforts to erect a larger building in 1907.

According to local tradition this cemetery began when migrant W.P. Jones buried his wife, Delila, here in 1871, hoping to later bury her in an established graveyard nearby. Her burial nevertheless remains the cemetery's earliest on record. O.S. and Jane Bradfield deeded the cemetery land to the Fairview Baptist Church in 1883. Annual spring cleanups, which began in 1909, have become a cherished tradition for descendants of persons buried here. Interred in this cemetery are pioneers, members of fraternal orders, and veterans of conflicts from the Civil War to Vietnam.

George O. and Julia F. Hart deeded land to the New Mine Baptist Church on July 20, 1892, and ten years later sold additional land to the congregation. For many years, area residents used nearby cemeteries when loved ones passed away. These burial grounds included Reeves Chapel Cemetery, approximately one mile west, others were buried in Pittsburg cemeteries.


In May 1930, the New Mine Baptist Congregation began plans for establishing a burial ground of its own adjacent to the church site. That year, James M. Quillion died and he was the first buried in New Mine Cemetery. In 1937, George Hart, who had died in 1929, was reinterred here at the request of his widow and children. The congregation installed the first fence in 1939. Later replacing it and adding brick pillars at the arched entryway.


The congregation has continued to use and maintain the historic burial ground. An annual memorial church service and business meeting, followed by dinner and fellowship under the pavilion, serves as a reunion for descendants of those buried here.

1901


Donated by:

Mary Simpson Johns

Mr. Robert Johns

Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy Drenhan

Mr. & Mrs. Brison Rape

According to local tradition a congregation known as the O'Possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858. During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the area. During the 1870s Macedonia developed into a thriving community consisting of the Macedonia Baptist Church, a Masonic lodge, a gin, a granary, and a general store.


A parcel of land which later included this cemetery was donated to the community by the S. A. Spiars family sometime prior to the first recorded burial here, that of J. C. Witt on April 22, 1874.


Macedonia residents and businesses began to disperse after the town of Granger was established about two miles east of here in the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in the early 1880s. Eventually, the last remaining physical evidence of the once-thriving community of Macedonia was this graveyard.


Macedonia Cemetery was abandoned until 1971, when descendants of people buried here formed a cemetery association to restore and preserve the graveyard. The cemetery remains in use and includes the burials of pioneers of the area and their descendants and veterans of the civil war.

Dwight Hays Townsend (1834-1906) donated land for this cemetery about 1870. The graves of two children which were relocated here from the Leesburg Schoolyard are thought to be the earliest burials on the site. The oldest marked grave is that of Tapley Wylie (1836-1870). This cemetery is the primary burial ground for the rural community of Leesburg. Those interred here include pioneer settlers, community leaders, a large number of infants and children, and veterans of the Civil War, World Wars I and II, Korea, and Vietnam.
Ebenezer Cemetery was officially established when Israel B. Rape deeded property for the cemetery in 1857. However, Rape and his wife Sarah are buried in Pittsburg's Rosehill Cemetery. Ebenezer Community was founded by the Rapes and several other pioneering families who arrived in the area from Georgia during the 1850's. The older known burial in the cemetery is the of infant Pair Clementine Bailey, who died in September 1870. A cemetery association was organized in 1971 to preserve and maintain the site. The cemetery has been enlarged throughout Donations of property and now contains two acres. Today Ebenezer Cemetery remains active and serves as a reminder of the early Camp County Settlement.

Cedar Grove Cemetery is an African American cemetery that adjoins Rose Hill Cemetery in Pittsburg, Texas. There is no fence between them but they each have their own entrance gate.

Pitts Family Cemetery William Harrison Pitts & Family The Pitts family cemetery was established by William Harrison Pitts, founder of Pittsburg. According to family history, the earliest burial on this site was that of Sarah Richardson Harvey Pitts, the third wife of W.H. Pitts and mother of their daughter Ella, in 1862. Confederate Corporal Joseph H. Pitts was buried here in 1863. Others interred here include W.H. Pitts' mother, Drucilla Neal Pitts, and five of his eight siblings. These members of the large Pitts family left their Georgia plantations and reestablished their households here on the Texas frontier in the mid 19th century. They shaped early Camp County and saw Pittsburg grow into a thriving village. The cemetery remains a chronicle of early Camp County history and culture. A Historical Site Pitts Cemetery is now preserved as a historical site and burials are no longer permitted. Located just west of downtown on Quitman Street, stop and read the markers for this historic cemetery.

Pittsburg's City Cemetery with grave sites dating back to the early 1800's. This is also the resting place of many Pittsburg notables and local legends. Just to name a few...Bo & Betty Pilgrim of Pilgrims Pride, James Cavender of Cavender Boots, D.H. Abernathy Pittsburg's Mayor of 52 years, and many Confederate Soldiers.

Bolton Cemetery is located on the North side of FM 993, 3 miles south of Pittsburg. Ebenezer (Ebb) Bolton settled in this area in the 1850s. He established an extensive plantation and owned a number of slaves before the Civil War. Following Ebb Bolton's death in 1877, his widow made arrangements to provide land to their former slaves. This cemetery, which began in 1861 upon the death of Martha Bolton's mother, Rebecca Durley, became a part of the Bolton Community, a Freedmen's town that built up in the area. Still an active cemetery, both Ebb and Martha Bolton are interred here, as are many of the former slaves and their descendants.